Pages

Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Colorblock Utensils


Being a pastor's wife, I have many weddings and baby showers to attend.  And don't get me wrong, I absolutely love going to all of them.  Seriously.....wedding and baby festivities are one of my favorite things to do.  And while I don't want to skimp on quality for each gift, I do have to be a little creative in order to stretch our money as far as we can.

So, I am always looking on Pinterest for ideas.  

When I search on Pinterest, I don't look for "easy DIY gift ideas".  I usually just look for items that I would like to make for myself, or that I would want in my own home that I think I could recreate.

I've seen these colorblock utensils from quite a few different sources and have been dying to try them. 

Some companies make them now and are usually only sold in specialty or upscale stores.  

We recently attended a wedding shower for an Ole Miss loving couple (hence the red and blue) and I wanted to give them something around this theme.

So, I got to work!


Target sells these large bamboo utensils in packs of 3.  

I taped them off low enough so that food would not necessarily have to touch the part where I painted.

I then used acrylic paint (I actually purchased a deeper royal/navy blue because I couldn't get the color exactly right), and sealed it with Mod Podge.  

Once it was dry, I removed the tape and they were done! 

I paired these utensils with a couple of hand embroidered dish towels!

(Spray paint and sealer could also be used - I was just trying to use the supplies I had on hand).

I'm itching to make some for myself now - maybe in a minty green color.....surprise, surprise!

What Pinterest projects have you tried lately?

Happy Tuesday, y'all!

Rox

No comments:

Post a Comment