Pages

Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Faux Mantle Shelf: Making and Decorating


Once upon a time, we bought a cute little house.

We loved our cute little house...

...but we couldn't figure out how to decorate above our couch.

We started out with a large mirror and a sconce on either side.  It worked, but we only put it up to fill up wall space.  I decided then to make a shelf to go above the couch.  I used a 1x8 plank of wood and two shelf supports (ready made from Home Depot), stained them in espresso, hung the supports on the wall, and laid the plank on top.

I filled the space beneath with an old window that Rox gave me (I'm pretty sure it was a sweet score on Craigslist!), plus emroidery hoop framed fabric on either side.  The window luckily had the perfect chippy paint finish so I didn't mess with it.  The hoops were brightly colored plastic (from Wal-Mart) so I spray-painted them using Rustoelum's Heirloom White.  The fabric was leftover from a skirt that I made a couple years ago, and I thought the greens were a perfect pop of color for the wall.

(Do you recognize the little garland on the window??  Check out my post HERE to see how it's made!)


Decorating the shelf was really fun:

The decorating began around the large chalkboard which is an old whiteboard that our church was throwing away.  I flipped it over, painted the board with chalkboard spray paint (Wal-Mart), and spray painted the edges using some shade of white.  I LOVE being able to change the feel of the shelf by drawing a frame on the board and changing the wording. (During Christmas-time, I hung a green wreath over the board with the word 'joy' peeking through!)

The other decor is a random collection of things I just had, made, or bought for VERY cheap:
picture frame (from Good-Will, spray painted)
keys (thrifted by my mom!)
candle sticks and holders (Dollar Tree, spray painted using Rustoleum's Silver)
vase (Good-Will)
sticks/branches (Wal-Mart, a long time ago!)
white pear (Kroger, after Thanksgiving sale)
twine canister (old coffee can covered with jute rope)
wooden letter (handmade, spray painted using Krylon's Jade)
embroidery hoop (Wal-Mart, spray painted using Rustoleum's Heirloom White)
fabric (JoAnn's)
antlers (These babies are the real deal! My hubs actually uses them during the hunting season so I get to use them to decorate as long as he doesn't need them!)
squirrel (Good-Will, spray painted using Rustoleum's Heirloom White)


I finally love my living room decor!  The shelf makes it SO easy to re-decorate without putting TONS of holes in the wall (THIS makes the hubby happy!).

Do you have a mantle or faux mantle??  How do you decorate it?

Thanks for reading, folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment