Pages

Monday, July 1, 2013

Jeans to Shorts Tutorial




Anyone find a great pair of jeans at a steal of a price in the store, only to get them home and suddenly you don't like how they fit anymore?

And you keep them past the return date because you are trying to convince yourself that you like them?

And you keep washing and drying them hoping somehow the magical dryer will spit out a perfect fitting pair of jeans?

And, even if you liked them before, they are now too short because of you washed and dried them so many times?

Just me?

Ok.

I guess I was being a little too specific to include anyone else in that story.

Ha!

But you can probably relate in some way or another. 

Well, I decided I needed to get some use out of them before being donated.  So, I decided to refashion them into shorts!

{ By the way, this is a VERY SIMPLE refashion that anyone can do, I promise!  So, if you are a beginner sewer, don't be scared to try this one! }


1.  First, I found a pair of shorts I already owned that I liked the length of to serve as a template.  I placed my shorts on top of my jeans so I could also use the slight slant of the bottom of each leg as a guide.  I cut 4-5 inches below the shorts on each leg of the jeans. (If you don't own a good pair of fabric scissors, now would be the time to invest in them.  It will make cutting through denim a whole lot easier.)

2.  Next, I folded each leg twice and then pinned the fold into place.  If you want to get super technical, you can measure your fold all the way around to make sure it's even.  I just eyeballed it.

3.  Pin both legs, making sure to pin the back of each leg as well.  Then iron to make a nice, crisp fold.

4.  I just wanted to show you what kind of thread I used!  It's specially made for jeans and matched the thread already used on the jeans I owned.

5.  Sew a straight stitch all the way around.  Mine was about 1/4 inch down from the top fold.

6.  And your done!


So before you throw away those jeans that don't fit you quite right consider refashioning them into shorts or changing them into skinny jeans (like Jess did a while back).


Happy Monday, y'all!


Rox


No comments:

Post a Comment