Pages

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Entryway Progress


Since we moved in our house almost 4 years ago, we had a small mirror/ledge/3 small hooks THING hanging from this wall.  It literally was the first piece of decor I hung and has been there ever since.  Out of necessity, the small hooks were used for the boys jackets they wear on a daily basis but were really too high for our youngest to reach.  

How do I know this?

Take a look at the 'Before' picture above.  Notice the absence of the aforementioned piece.  One day when my youngest asked me to get down his jacket for the 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000th time (That's an octillion, people.  Yahoo answers told me so.), I casually replied, "you can do it, you're a big boy", and went back to whatever I was doing.  

Well, he SHOWED me.  

He got his jacket down......along with the entire mirror/ledge/3 small hooks THING, proving that he was, in fact, a big boy.  

Lesson learned.  A boy WILL prove he is a 'big boy'......whatever it takes.

Sooo.....the wall sat bare.  For a while.

I always wanted to do something with our entryway, but wasn't sure what since it is so tiny.  

So, what did I do?

I looked on............(and the class says......)

............PINTEREST!  (Good job, kids!)

And found these beauties:

Source: The Shiny Squirrel
Source: Tumblr
I thought I could achieve the same look at the top coat rack with some extra pallet wood we had laying around in the garage and some hooks from Lowe's for about $4.00 each.  I thought that price was pretty steep until I compared it with an already assembled piece from target for $25 that was about half the size.  

And I must give credit where it is due.  The hubs built and hung these for me, while I just did the purchasing and designing.  I'm so happy when he works with me on projects!

And here's a closeup:


 The matching screws that came with the hooks were to long, so M had to improvise and use some silver ones.  I plan on painting them to match soon.  I love the detail of the naturally distressed wood and the large hooks.

The entryway is not complete YET, so here's what I'm thinking.....


Source: Vintage Revivals (tutorial found here.)
I love the look of this tribal print wall but would probably opt for something more subtle, like gray - giving it a more neutral look like the black arrows above.  The tutorial looks simple enough.  (P.S. This girl's blog is awesome!  I love her style and she makes everything look VERY doable.  If you haven't been to her blog, check it out!  P.P.S.  She did not pay me or even know of my promotion of her blog.  Ha!)

I would do this print on the small wall under the stairs.  Then I would love to have a bench like the ones  in the top two pictures or built a small table like this one.

Source: Etsy

I'll fill you folks in on my progress!

Does anyone have any good ideas for decorating a tiny Entryway?  

Rox

2 comments: