Pages

Wednesday, April 24, 2013

DIY Towel Wrap


Graduation time is upon us.

I feel like every year around this time, I replay my 'glory days' of high school in my mind and reminisce about how cool I used to be.

Who am I kidding?

My view into my past is totally distorted.  

I was a nerd y'all.

And I wouldn't go back if I could.

BUT.....

I love to celebrate those that are completing this milestone in their lives....especially some girls at the church I've watched grow up into such awesome women!

I decided to give each of them a very practical gift, that is especially useful when walking down the dorm hallways from the bathroom or in an apartment shared with friends.

I looked up quite a few different tutorials for towel wraps on Pinterest and ultimately decided to combine a couple of them and make my own!


1.  Because I was using 2" elastic, I turned my towel to the back side (the one with the tag) and folded down top 2 1/2".  Pin down the edge.  Then, measure 15" from each side and mark with pins (I used 2 pins really close together so I wouldn't get confused with the pins that were already used).  Then sew a straight stitch down the edge of the folded down towel between the two double pin markers ONLY.  This will be where you insert your elastic.  Use a 1/4" seam allowance.

2.  Cut elastic to approximately 13".  Attach a large safety pin to the end of the elastic and move it into the tube you just created.  Once the end that does not have the clothespin lines up with the opening of the tube (the rest of the elastic should be hidden in the tube), sew 2 vertical lines to secure elastic into place.  

3.  Continue to move elastic through tube, bunching towel as you go.  Once elastic is lined up at other end, sew 2 vertical lines to secure elastic into place on this end as well.

4.  Sew tube on either end of the elastic (that should still have pins in it) closed.  Also sew the very end of tubes shut on edge of towel.  Cut velcro to approximately 8".  Sew one side into place on the INSIDE right top edge of towel.  Sew other side onto OUTSIDE left top edge of towel.

5.  To personalize it a little more, I used some extra contrasting fabric to create a monogrammed letter on the bottom corner of towel.  (To create letter, I iron heat-n-bond to a square of fabric, then used a sewing marker that disappears with water to sketch the letter.  I then cut it out and removed paper backing and ironed on the letter.  A zigzagged stitch on the edge of letter secures it to towel.)

And that's it!  

Now I think I should make one for myself.

Happy Wednesday, y'all!

Rox

No comments:

Post a Comment