Pages

Thursday, January 31, 2013

DIY Colorblock Shoes

My sister introduced me to a blog called Merrick's Art a couple of months ago, and since then I have been obsessed!  I'm just getting interested in the whole refashion idea (thanks to my stylish sis, Jess), and her tutorials seem pretty straightforward and not to too hard to manage.

I will admit, while I've done a couple of refashions involving sewing, Jess is a much better seamstress.  So, when, I saw Merrick's recent post, about a refashion that did not involve sewing, I jumped on it!  

My new obsession is anything mint colored which made choosing a color for the toes an easy decision.


I have one pair of black flats that I have had for years that I think were originally purchased from Shoe Carnival or Rack Room.  I've worn them quite a few times and they weren't terrible, but I avoided them because I always felt they made me look a little bit like tinkerbell.  

Case in point.....



It's ok if you are singing, "you can fly, you can fly, you can fly" in your head.  I do too every time I look at this picture. Ha!

Here's a closeup of those lovely tink shoes.


First thing, I did was remove the mesh rosettes, which proved to be much harder than I originally thought.  Meaning, I actually had to saw them off with a knife because they were sewn on for dear life.  Please be careful people, this could have been VERY dangerous. (This picture is actually pre-sawing.  The rosettes pulled off fairly easily leaving these black circles that were sewn on with 1,000,000 stitches, I'm pretty sure.)


Next, I used painter's tape and taped off the toes, making sure to press firmly on the edge.


Then, I used some Mod Podge to seal the fabric of the shoe and create a smoother surface.  I used the matte finish just because that's what I had on hand.  



Then I mixed up some acrylic paint I had on hand until I reached the desired color.  I actually ended up adding brown to this mix as well.


Then, I mix, mix, mixed, until I came up with.....



It took 2 coats to cover the shoes thoroughly enough so none of the black showed through.  Once I removed the tape I used a small paint brush and some black paint and touched up a couple of spots where the mint paint had seeped under the tape.  And they dried really quickly!


All in all, this probably took me a total of 20 minutes including drying time!  (I sped up the drying time a little using a blow dryer set on cool.....a trick for all you impatient ones out there :)  

These would be so cute in a bunch of different colors.  Share your before and after pictures with us if you try out a new color!

Cheers to new shoes for FREE!

                                                                                                             -ROX    




No comments:

Post a Comment