Pages

Monday, January 28, 2013

Drab to Fab: Sequin Pocket

I love an excuse to wear cute clothes.

But it's hard to say no to a T-shirt and jeans sometimes.

An EXCELLENT way to marry cute and comfortable is a POCKET.  I love, love, love pocket T's.  I'm not so sure why... I guess it adds a little dimension.  Or interest.  Plus you can hide a few M&M's in it just in case of emergencies, right?

I found this V-neck at Goodwill a couple years ago.  Since my love of pockets began, this little guy has been neglected a little.  Time for an update, I say!




 Supplies:

- Plain T-shirt... any kind, any color
- Extra fabric for pocket.  Use a similar color to shirt. 
- 1 yd. stretch sequin trim ($1.50/yd at Wal-Mart)
- pins


1. Cut sequin trim into 6 equal length strips and a piece of the extra fabric the same width and height of trim when lined up.
2. Pin trim to pocket fabric on the outside raw edge.  Make sure pocket fabric and sequin are pulled as tight as possible without stretching them. 
3. Using a long straight stitch, sew sequins onto the pocket.  You may have to push the sequins under the foot.  If you want to make sure each sequin strip doesn't drape when worn, sew down the middle of each piece of the trim. (You can tell in the bottom right corner that it's pretty hard to see the stitch.)
4. Turn the edges of the raw sides under about a half inch and pin to T-shirt.  Carefully try the shirt on to make sure the placement of the pocket isn't wonky.
5. Once again, use a long straight stitch to attach the pocket to the shirt.  Remember to leave the top edge open if you want an operable pocket. Or, you could sew it closed if you want a faux pocket.


Wear your sequin pocket Tee and jeans with a blazer and heels to turn comfort into dressy casual!  Try adding a lace pocket or tribal-printed pocket to any plain shirt to dress it up.  The options are endless for adding a little pocket interest!

*Notes:  Be careful when sewing with sequins.  I used a heavy duty needle to avoid breaking it.  Also, I'm unsure how well the sequins will hold up in the washer.  I assume I will just hang dry the shirt.*

-Jess

2 comments: