I don't know if it is because I am getting older, being a mom of young rambunctious boys that I have to chase around, the dresses and skirts are literally getting shorter these days, or all of the above.
BUT, whatever the reason, I don't feel like I can pull off a skirt or dress that's very far above the knees, and yet, I've seen so many cute dresses and skirts that I would love to wear if it weren't for the shortness factor.
They are EVERYWHERE.
And by everywhere, I mean...Target.
They are in Target.
My second home, remember?
I'm sure they are in other stores as well. But for some reason, every time I have an hour to get our of the house by myself, there is a OVERPOWERING magnetic pull on my car from Target. I can't explain it.
That's my story, anyways.
And I'm stickin' to it.
So, back to that dress.
I recently found this dress at Target. I thought it was long enough in the store, but when I tried it on at home, I just didn't feel comfortable with the length, especially of the small slits on the side.
So, I got on Pinterest.
And discovered what some are calling 'dress or skirt extenders'.
The idea was brilliant, but I could only find them being sold online for about $30. I didn't want to pay that much ESPECIALLY if I thought I could make it.
As I contemplated my plan of action, I stumbled upon this tutorial, and she had a genius idea.
Because regular slips are so hard to find these days (seriously, people....have you tried looking for a regular slip anywhere? I had ZERO luck.), she went to the thrift store!
Genius, I tell you.
The one I found still had a tag on it (hallelujah!), so I scooped it up for $2.99.
Then, I headed over to a local craft store and purchased 3 yards of ivory colored 6" lace for $5.00 total with a coupon.
1. There she is in all her glory. Ha!
2. Since the new one I purchased was too big, I used a slip I already owned as a template.
3. I used pins to mark where I was going to sew up the sides.
4. Once the sides were sewn, I cut off the edges leaving about 1/4" from the seam to the edge. I then zig-zag stitched the edge letting the stitch to the outside wrap around, creating a 'faux serge'.
5. This slip had a small edging of lace already on it that I didn't really care for, so I just chopped it off!
6. I laid 2 layers of lace on the bottom of the slip to get a visual image of what it would look like before I sewed it on. I ended up cutting about 2" more off the bottom of the slip before pinning, then sewing the bottom layer of lace and then the top layer.
7. The completed slip! (I left my slip rather long so I would have the option of adjusting it's length based on what I wore it with by folding down the top.
8. And here's the completed lace dress extender.
This was a simple and CHEAP project that was complete in about 45 minutes for only $7.99!
My wallet (and husband) are thanking me! Ha!