Pages

Tuesday, May 6, 2014

{DIY} Chalk Paint & Tinted Wax


Y'all, this might be old news to you.  IF NOT, join in the fun of CHALK PAINT!  Annie Sloan has hit the DIY world by storm with her lovely paint-y ways... distressed furniture heaven...

BUT, I have yet to use hers... Shame on ME!  My DIY is totally a knock-off, and I can't tell you how it compares.  I just know I love the result and think it looks similar at least to what I've seen painted with Annie Sloan's paint.

I started out with 'Oops' or 'Mis-tinted' paint from Wal-Mart (also can be found at Home Depot and Lowe's).  I found a FANTASTIC soft, mustard-y yellow that looked even MORE fantastic at 50% off.  
Here's the chalk paint recipe I used:
1/2 cup baking soda
3 Tbsp. water
1 cup paint

Mix baking soda and water into a paste.  Add paint to paste until completely incorporated.  Use immediately OR let sit for a 'chalkier' texture.
(I've done both.. letting it sit does allow for a thicker first coat of paint)


-I used a small paint roller for the first coat on the large area, but a paint brush proved to be just as fast.  There's not need for the strokes to be absolutely perfect.  This is supposed to look OLD so the sloppier the better! 

-The second coat covered the rest of the table.  I didn't need an extra thick coat since I wanted the dark stain to show through.


-After the paint dried (it dries quickly!!), I lightly sanded all over the table but especially on the edges.  I made sure to allow the original stain show through on the places that would naturally be bumped and scraped.

-For tinted wax, I used Minwax Paste Finishing Wax (found at Home Depot) and Minwax PolyShades in Antique Walnut and Bombay Mahogany.  There really was no specific recipe here.  I just scraped out a good amount of wax into a tupperware bowl, poured in a little of the PolyShade, and mixed it until it was incorporated.  Using an old T-Shirt, towel, cheesecloth, or even one of Annie Sloan's special waxing brushes (which I hear are fantastic!), rub the tinted wax in small circles until the desired look is achieved. I suggest to test it out on a discreet corner of the table (or whatever you're painting) to see if you like the shade.  My first try was a little light so I just added the PolyShade until I was happy with the tint.  Also, rubbing in CLEAR wax BEFORE using the tinted wax prevents the color of the actual paint changing shades... instead, the wax just gets into the cracks and crevices.

If you WANT, you can finish it off with a coat of clear wax.

And.  THAT. Is how it's done.


I can't tell you how much I love my new table!!
I may or may not be obsessed with DIY chalk paint...
I may or may not have done a bunch of other projects because I loved it so much...
I may or may not have quite a few other projects up my sleeve...

What do you think??

Thanks so much for reading, friends!

-Jess

(Recipe for Chalk Paint recipe found HERE!)

No comments:

Post a Comment