Pages

Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Geometric Print Drape Front Cardi {tutorial}


I went through a stage where I felt like I needed to get ALL solid printed clothing so it would be versatile... 

SO... what do you do if you need more patterns in your wardrobe without spending the bucks?

Do. It. Yourself.

Here's how I added a little pattern to a piece in MY wardrobe:


1.  I grabbed a plain black knit drape front cardi from my closet that I NEVER wear...

2.  Using a sheet of foam from the craft store (with adhesive on the back), I cut a couple triangles and attached them to a jar lid to create a stamp.  I used Martha Stewart's Metallic Gold acrylic paint and a foam brush to paint the stamp.
3.  After deciding to alternate the triangles pointing up then down, I started stamping in the middle on the bottom of the back of the cardi.  I didn't worry about perfect spacing or clean stamping.  On each 'drape', I stacked the triangles higher so the triangles would be more noticeable when worn.

-  After the paint dried, I threw the cardi in the dryer to 'set' the paint.

And that's it!

tunic:  Marshalls // cardi:  Target (refashioned by me) // 'leather vest':  thrifted // leggings: Wal-Mart //booties: thrifted //short necklace: Wal-Mart // long necklace: thrifted

{I styled my cardi over a sheer tunic with leggings and wedge booties.
I added a 'leather' vest for texture and stacked two necklaces for added interest.}

I know this piece will get a lot more use now that I updated it with a little pattern!  I can't wait to try this with a lighter colored cardi and and darker paint...  I'm thinking an aztec feel!

Let us know if you have any questions or if you try it out!!

Thanks for reading, y'all!

-Jess



No comments:

Post a Comment