Pages

Tuesday, October 29, 2013

DIY Faux Ceramic Animal Head


Good Morning, y'all!

I gave you a little tour of my boys' room makeover last week.  One of my personal favorite DIY projects to complete the look was the faux ceramic animal heads.  I was quite honestly surprised at how well these turned out (because, don't be fooled, not all our DIY efforts turn out like this....I have had numerous "fails" along the way).

I've seen many pins on Pinterest, as well as many blogs, feature these ceramic pieces as part of their home decor, and I've loved the look.

But, as you probably know by now, I am constantly looking for a cheaper way to achieve the same look.  (And paying full price for those ceramic pieces just wasn't in the budget.  They can be expensive, y'all!)

While out on one of my "browsing" trips at TJ Maxx, I came across the moose antlers and gazelle head for about $10 each, and had an idea about trying to transform them into faux ceramic pieces.  

And a lot of times when I find something I like, I try and check Marshall's as well.  I don't think these two stores are owned by the same people, but they tend to have a lot of the same inventory.

And, lo and behold, I found the deer head!

So I grabbed my supplies and got to work!

                                                                 -Metal Animal Heads
                                                                 -Primer Spray Paint
                                                                 -Flat White Spray Paint
                                                                 -Pallet Wood
                                                                 -Jigsaw


1.  First I place the animal heads on an old sheet and sprayed them with primer.  I let that dry for about 30 minutes, then sprayed them with the flat white spray paint.  Each animal head was sprayed with 2-3 coats, depending on what it needed, waiting about 30 minutes in between each coat.
2.  Next I printed out an oval shape from my computer.  It wasn't quite as big as I wanted it, so I measured out about 6 inches all the way around and roughly sketched a bigger oval.
3.  I then used our jigsaw for the first time!  (Jess has been telling me I would love using it, and she was totally right!  I can't believe I haven't used it until now!)  If you've never used a jigsaw, don't be scared.....it's super easy to use and much less intimidating than a circular saw for sure!  (My husband attached a piece of wood to the back along with a heavy duty hanger.)
4.  The animal head is attached to the wood by a nail.  It could be pulled off pretty easily, but the boys haven't touched them once!  (I did threaten to take them totally off the wall if they touched them.....so far, so good! ;)

And that's it!

This could very easily be modified to your tastes.

I've seen the ceramic heads hung on the wall alone, inside a frame, etc.

Happy Tuesday, y'all!

Rox


{ THIS IS JUST A LITTLE REMINDER TO CHECK OUT OUR BUTTONS IN THE TOP RIGHT HAND CORNER - "LIKE" OUR FACEBOOK PAGE, FOLLOW US ON BLOGLOVIN', AND FOLLOW OUR PINTEREST BOARDS  (we just added pins from all our blog posts!) THANK YOU!! }

No comments:

Post a Comment