Pages

Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Kids Pajamas Refashion


I'm not sure if it is the same with girls, but boys WEAR. OUT. CLOTHES.  

And FAST.

Jess and I have 3 boys (2 mine, 1 hers) within 14 months of each other and we are always talking about trying to keep them clothed in a thrifty manner and mending what we can.

Since my boys are 14 months apart, I try to buy clothes that are good enough quality to last through them both.  I end up spending a little bit more on each item, BUT save in the long run.

(Speaking of saving in the clothing department.....I think the best investment we have made are on Sun San Surfer Sandals.  They are are about $30, BUT last forever.  I was able to buy some for my oldest, pass them to Jess's oldest, back to my youngest, and now Jess's little girl is wearing them - since we bought them in gender neutral brown and tan colors.  And they are still in great shape!  Just thought I would pass that bit of information on to y'all since we are now in sandal weather.)

Back to the pajamas.

Ahem.

Lately, my oldest (who is 4 1/2) has torn through the knees of countless jeans, pants, and pajamas.  And since I mentioned that these clothes need to last through 2 boys, this simply had to change.

Patching, which Jess and I have both done to jeans and pants (tutorial coming soon!) just wasn't going to work on pajama pants since (a) the holes were REALLY big and (b) the fabric is some sort of thin, flimsy knit.

So, I decided the best option would be just to cut the bottom part of the leg of the pajamas just above the knee and hem them to make shorts.  And the shirt had to be done as well to make a complete warm weather pajama set.


1.  First I found a pair of warm weather pajamas I already owned to serve as a template.  I left about 1" of extra fabric and cut the bottom part of the pants off.  I didn't do any measuring, just kind of eye-balled it.

2.  Next I did the same thing with the shirt.  I laid the short sleeved shirt on top of the long sleeved and cut, leaving about 1" of extra fabric.

3.  Then I turned each piece inside out and folded over about 1" of fabric and pinned it all the way around.  (I didn't fold it under twice since knit fabric doesn't fray).

4.  Lastly, I stitched around each arm and leg with a 1/4" seam allowance and then again with a 1/2" seam allowance.

And that's it!

This is a very quick and easy beginner project for all of you readers who are just starting out.

So, before you throw away those clothes full of clothes, try your hand at mending them!

It's easier than you think!




Oh, and I keep forgetting to post this update to my entryway coat rack.

I mentioned that we had to use different screws than the ones that came in the package with the hooks, and they were silver.  I contemplated meticulously painting them with a small paint brush and black paint, when one of our readers mentioned that I should just used a sharpie.

This was SUCH a great idea, and much less time consuming!

Thanks Lialah!


3 comments:

  1. How about cutting off footie pjs?? :-) It may look a little weird, but you've made me consider it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know why that wouldn't work, Mary! You should try it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a smart idea! My kids keep outgrowing things all the time...I'm thinking tonight I'll turn the pj pants into shorts and even convert long sleeves into half sleeves. Glad to have found your blog!

    Raj
    Pink Chai Style

    ReplyDelete