Pages

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Vintage Dresser Revamp


The dresser above was first bought for my mom and her sister by my grandparents in 1967, I believe.  We don't own many family heirlooms, so I wanted to keep this one no matter what it took.  It survived almost 50 years of use plus numerous moves, including one from California to Mississippi in the mid-nineties.  

The lines of the piece are simple and traditional enough that with a little sprucing up, it still looks like something you would buy today.  I stripped the top and sides with paint stripper (including a layer of lead paint.....yuck!).  Then, the hubs added a wooden support system to the bottom and some cute legs (which are actually fencepost toppers turned upside down!) 

The rest was completed with some white paint we already owned and a layer of Johnson's paste wax for more of a matte finish.  The knobs were lightly sanded and then sprayed with Rustoleum's oil-rubbed bronze spray paint.  

I'm so glad to have this piece of furniture complete and finally moved back into the house after 6 months!  

So, before you throw out that old piece of furniture, shop around your garage for some leftover paint and try a little makeover!  

Rox

1 comment:

  1. I love it! The new details on the bottom do so much to change the look!

    ReplyDelete