Pages

Thursday, March 7, 2013

{ FREE } Pallet Sign Project


Well, it looks like we are on a pallet kick this week! 

 What can I say, we go a little weak in the knees for anything old and rustic. 

Kidding.

No, but seriously.

Our church had a Missions Dinner this past weekend and I was asked to paint a verse of scripture on the wood.  To many this may seem like a daunting task, but it is easier than you think!

For this project, a friend delivered the wood already assembled into a sign (which has been the hardest part in the past), leaving the painting part for me to complete.

{ If you'd like to know how to disassemble a pallet, check out my sister's last post found here. }  

And a little side note. 

(What would a post of mine be without a little digression?  Some of you are smiling because you KNOW it's true.  I'm a woman, what can I say.....my mind can't help but go in 10 different directions at the same time.  Wow.  A digression off of another digression.  That's a first.  But probably not last.

Annnnnnnnndddd.........done.)

Oh yeah, the side note.

You can find pallets for FREE, people!  I have found numerous pallets set on the curb for the garbage truck to pick up....OR, just put it out there to your Facebook friends that you are looking for pallets and you are likely to get a bite.  Especially now that Spring is right around the corner and countless yard renovations will be taking place.  I got 10 pallets from a single source that way!

This sign was going to require very particular letter placement because of the number of words required.  So, I had to do a little more planning than usual.  


I like to use Times New Roman font on pallets, so I typed up the verse and made sure I could fit it on 7 lines, since that's how many boards there are.  I didn't worry about it being to scale since I would free hand the letters anyways.  This is just to get a feel for the spacing.  I also like to free hand (while trying to copy the font) to give it a not-so-perfect look.  I think this goes with the whole rustic feel.


If the free-hand lettering is too intimidating, I saw another tutorial on Pinterest I have wanted to try (although I couldn't find the pin anywhere).  Basically, you print out the font in the SIZE you want.   Then, you place the sheet of paper on the wood and use a pencil to trace the outline of the letters.  When you lift the paper, there should be an indention in the shape of the letters that you can use to fill in with paint.

I have to say I have never personally used this method, but I don't know why it wouldn't work.


And here is the finished product!

And the best part about this product is that it is free!  (The only possible things you would have to buy are paint and maybe some hooks to hang this bad boy on the wall).

Cheap art for your home!

Do you have any projects you've made from pallets?

Rox

No comments:

Post a Comment