Pages

Monday, February 25, 2013

Quilt for the Non-Quilter

My little gal turned ONE in December.

She has a big bro (Mr. P is 3 1/2) who has more than enough toys to share with baby sis.. she (being the grand-girl on both sides of the family) has been sufficiently spoiled with girly clothes... and has shared some of Mr. P's baby clothes.

What in the world do you give a little girl for her first birthday when she doesn't need (or can't tell you if she wants) anything...

After browsing through Smile and Wave (a cute, talented vintage-loving girl) I found THIS quilt.  Simple, classic.  I knew what my little one needed for her birthday!

I made a last minute trip to Wal-Mart 2 days before her birthday to peruse the fabric aisle... we actually have a fairly decent selection of fabrics at our local Wal-Mart so I chose my 5 favorite vintage-looking floral prints. 

Materials:
1/2 yd. each of 5 fabrics
2 yds. unbleached muslin
Queen size quilt batting
square of cardboard cut to desired size of patches (mine were 13 1/2 in.)
scissors or rotary cutter and mat
sewing machine 
coordinating thread


1.  Using your square piece of cardboard as a guide, cut 6 squares of each fabric.  Arrange them on a flat surface in a 5 x 6 pattern.  Pin together the squares for each of the 6 rows.  Using a 1/4 in. seam allowance sew the squares of each of the 6 rows together.

2.  Line the 6 rows up again.  Pin rows together one by one (lining up the squares as well as possible), and sew together.  (Once again, use a 1/4 in. seam allowance.)

3.  Now using the top layer of the quilt, cut the batting and backing to size.  (Allow 2-3 inches on all sides.)  I had to sew two pieces of muslin together to make a pieces the right size.

4.  Stack the quilt, batting and muslin/backing together in that order.  Pin as many places as needed to keep all layers secure and together.  I'm pretty sure I pinned on every corner of every square, and in the middle of every square... maybe more.

5.  You may have heard the term "stitch in the ditch" when referring to the quilting process (sewing in each seam, up and down as shown in the 5th diagram).  I sewed on either side of each seam.  Same idea just double the stitches.  It also makes the fabric pucker a little more when washed... which I love!

6.  Finally, it's time to bind the quilt!  I used a method very similar to THIS.  I used 2 of the 6 prints leftover from the patchwork to piece together binding.  OR you can use the same fabric as the backing... OR something totally different.  You can't go wrong!



Now it's time to wash the quilt!  There's nothing like a freshly washed blanket anyway.. but this will help soften it AND give it the vintage-y feel.

I can't wait to make another one!!  There's nothing like a homemade quilt... I hope this one is something  Baby Girl can hold on to and pass on to her kids!

Don't be intimidated.. I know there is an art to quilting, and I DEFINITELY don't claim to know anything about it.  BUT, I was more than satisfied with the outcome!

Let me know if you have any tips or trips for simple quilting techniques!  Have you made one??  I would love to see!

HAPPY QUILTING!

No comments:

Post a Comment