Pages

Monday, February 4, 2013

Pearl Cluster Necklace


Who doesn't love a good statement necklace??  I immediately went a made my own Bib Necklace after Rox posted her tutorial here.  (Have you made one yet??  We would love to see it!) 

I have seen quite a few beaded cluster necklaces that I LOVE... but I can never justify the price.  
ModCloth, $49.99

Anthropologie, $38

Bloomingdale's, $75
One of my oldest friends was wearing a beautiful necklace last year that I have literally not stopped thinking about since seeing it.  (Obsessive, much?)  She told me that a friend had crocheted it for her... um, what??  Crochet wire?  Since I had NEVER crocheted before and had no interest, I just let myself dream about my friend's beautiful necklace.

The other day I googled "crochet wire beaded necklace" just to see how difficult it would be.  The video I found here looked so easy... so I thought I'd try it.

Following the video instructions, I bought:
jewelry wire, $4
crochet hook, $2
pearl beads, $9

I already had:
silver necklace clasp
scissors to cut wire

So, here's my own beaded cluster necklace for WAY less:

I did a couple of things different:
- Wal-Mart didn't have the right size crochet hook so I just used one size smaller.  It didn't seem to make a difference.
- I just used nylon covered jewelry wire.  It's cheaper and seems to work just as good.
- I used more loops and more beads than she called for.  I did 35 loops instead of 12 for each side of the  chain portion of the necklace.  I used 20ish beads on each strand.

This is literally SO much easier than it looks.  And for under $10 a necklace, you CAN'T beat it! 

We would love to see yours if you make one for yourself!


***IF YOU WOULD RATHER BUY ONE, I HAVE 3 FOR SALE IN OUR ETSY SHOP R+J HANDMADE***

Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment