Pages

Thursday, February 28, 2013

DIY Camera Strap Cover


I purchased a DSLR camera last year and have slowly been learning how to use it.  For all you experts out there, please don't judge me for how out of focus or crooked my photos are.  (And actually, the photo above was taken with my iPhone 4 camera.  I mean, if you can take a picture of your nice camera WITH your nice camera, you have some magical powers going on.)

And I'm about to reveal how much of a photographer I am not.  

Here goes.

From the beginning of my novice adventures in photography (i.e. How the heck does this thing work?, There are WAY too many options., and At least I'll look cool with this thing while I take blurry picture after hopelessly blurry picture of my poor kiddos.), the strap bothered me.  All I saw was this strip of fabric on which the wording served absolutely no purpose.  SO, while I may not have made much progress in the photography department, I know how to work some fabric magic.  (Second "magic" reference in this post?  I promise I'm not into that stuff.  Back on track, Roxanne.  Back on track.)

So, I got to researchin'.

On Pinterest, of course.

(I mean really, are there any other legitimate websites out there?)

I found everything from a tutorial on how to construct the entire strap, including all hardware, to a camera strap cover.  I viewed this project as something purely fun with not a whole lot of purpose (I don't NEED this), which helps me decide how much time I want to spend on it.  In this case, as little as possible.

So, camera strap cover it is.  

I used this tutorial from Doodles & Stitches as a guideline.

1.  Measure the length and width of the fabric part of your camera strap.  Add an inch to the width measurement and 2 inches to the length measurement.  (Mine was 23.5 in, x 1.5 in., so I cut 2 pieces of fabric 25.5 in. by 2.5 in.)

2.  Next, I ironed the pieces flat as well as folding the ends under once and ironing and then again and ironing again.  I straight stitched the ends to keep them from fraying and keep the ends folded under.

3.  Placing fabric with wrong sides together, I straight stitched each edge (longways) at the 3/8 in. marker on the sewing machine.  (Use pins to keep your fabric straight and together while stitching.

4.  "Serge" the edges.  On a regular sewing machine, turn setting to the zig zag stitch and let the far stitch go right over the edge of the fabric so the thread wraps around the side, creating the "serge" effect.

5.  Turn tube of fabric inside out using pencil with eraser to catch on the fabric.  Iron flat.  Pull camera strap through tube of fabric.

6.  Without back stitching and set at the widest straight stitch, sew the ends to the actual strap.  This keeps the strap in place but also leaves it easy to remove.

7.  Reattach camera strap to camera!


This project took about 30 minutes to complete from cutting out the fabric to putting my sewing machine and supplies away.  

Just use scrap fabric for a FREE and easy project!

Happy Sewing!

Rox

No comments:

Post a Comment