Pages

Thursday, November 29, 2012

Thrift Store Canvas Frame to Chalkboard

I go to our local thrift store every once in a while to look around, usually with nothing specific in mind to buy.   This is a good way to shop because you can end up getting a better deal this way.  The times I go shopping  with something specific in mind, I end up paying a higher price because I want to purchase that item that day and will basically pay what I have to (within reason).  When I don't have anything specific in mind, I will return home, a lot of the time, with nothing in hand unless I find some amazing deal I can't live without.  

I digress.

SO, on one of these trips, I was looking around in the home section - I usually go there first - and saw these chunky wooden frames with a painted canvas inside.  I forgot to get a picture of the original artwork, but I think they were some sort of nature scene.  Anyway, I had this BRILLIANT idea that somehow I would magically transform into an artist and be able to paint something so spectacular on them that I would want to hang them in our home.  And what basically happened was this:


nailed it!


{ can be found here }

I don't know what I was thinking.  


Please.  Please.  Control your laughter.

I then had two epiphanies.  The first was that I am not and will not ever be a painter.  End of story.  Second, chalkboard paint covers an array of messes.  And that's exactly what I needed.

Plus, it does not require much skill besides a steady hand.  And you only need that if you are in too much of a hurry to tape anything off like someone I know. {Cough}


I have used the spray chalkboard paint in the past and it works fine but ends up being more expensive because of the number of coats.  I bought this and used it for the first time on this project and LOVED it!  


This is my beginning to paint picture.  Notice, I am painting (or acting like it) with my left hand because I cannot operate a camera with my right hand.  There are so many things about this that are just WRONG.  It made me laugh when I looked back at it today, so I thought I'd share the humor.  Ha!


This is after just one coat of the chalkboard paint.  I believe I ended up painting 3 coats to make sure my failed painting was good and covered.


And here is the end result!  I have a perfect spot in mind in our master bedroom.  They'll go above our dresser that I should begin refinishing soon (and of course, with corresponding blog posts).


Oh, and just to leave you with a little laugh - this is what happens when you try to take pictures for your blog with your children around.  He just couldn't miss out on a post! 



1 comment:

  1. I was laughing at your "painting hand" picture, too!! haha.. I think I need Mr. and Mrs. chalkboards in my room now...

    ReplyDelete